Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Just A Fool


You win some you lose some. Yesterday was April fools day in every sense of the word. Listen friends... We all have our professions and things that we are good at. I pride myself on having a natural talent for cosmetology. I've been doing hair since I was in 7th grade. I love it. 99% of the time the results are fan-freaking-tastic. April 1st, 2014 started out that 5%. My client ended up with a serious case of hot roots. (That is where the roots are lighter and brighter than the rest of the hair.) We started at 10:30pm on the 31st and ended the hair sesh at 4:30am on the day of the fool. This year I was the fool. Seriously you guys... I wanted to cry. The only thing that saved me was my delirious performances of Taylor Swift at unspeakable hours of the night. My client got to see a whole new side of me that night. Thank goodness I was able to turn it around and her color was a beautiful dark brown with chocolate highlights and she still had all her hair on her head. Amazingly so.  After she left I crawled into bed around 4:30 am and tried to shut off the images of hot roots dancing in my head. I needed to sleep because my two littles had their well child checkups at 9am. Which meant I had to wake up at 7:30am to get everyone ready, fed, and my oldest to a friends house while we went to the doctor. 
7:30 rolls around way too fast and I hit the snooze button. 7:45... You win morning. I get up, feeling like I had some wild night. I'm getting too old for this staying up late business. I get the kids ready and myself ... Well.. presentable. If by presentable you mean looking like you just got done working out... Only you didn't.  
We get in the car and head over to my friends house to drop off my oldest. Then it hits me. I call the doctor only to confirm that their appointment is indeed tomorrow. Not today. I had just successfully April fooled myself. Have you ever been on the receiving end of a mean prank? It doesn't feel very good. And I consider only letting someone get 2 1/2 hours of sleep a mean prank. So I drove to the nearest Warrens and got myself a large dirty coke. Yes, regular old coke. Not diet. It was that bad. Trying not to cry from all the crappyness and over-exhaustion, I drove home, drank my coke, and went about my day. Happy April fools day to me.  
 I felt defeated and wanted to quit everything.  So I took a day. I let myself feel inadequate and then dusted myself off and got back up. Have you ever failed at something you know so well? How did you recover? Sometimes we have those days that everything you touch turns to crap. But what really matters, is how you come out of it. Not how you failed. 
Well babes, I'm off to Vegas to the ACMs Party for a Cause. Make sure to follow us on Instagram and Facebook to get live feed of all my shenanigans.  
-Sheena

No comments:

Post a Comment