Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Don't buy the wrong tampons and other helpful mom tips.

The other week I was sitting around the table with a couple of my sister-in-laws discussing the upcoming school year.  Shelby has a pre-teen still in elementary, but not too far off from Jr. High.  We were talking about how all kids hit different points of needing hygiene as well as fun items for growing up.  I love that she is so in-tune with her girl.  Growing up for me wasn't that easy, my mother and I weren't besties that talked about anything.  The day I asked for my own razor, I about croaked because I felt so embarrassed.

Here's your chance to be the cool mom.  Let's not make our girls feel like it's another maturation program-bleck!  Make your gal feel excited to make changes about hygiene and growing up, but in a way that they don't just jump from 12 to 18 overnight.  Just like everything, if you walk them through it then maybe they can avoid the bad eyeliner and makeup tips from their friends. 
1.  When I was a teen, I loved loved loved my caboodle.  Ya know, the thing you put your makeup in in the early 90s.  I had a few.  Well, I think a great kit starts with helping your girl pick out a great bag to store it all in.  Plus it will help their sibs stay out of it later.  This benefit bag was free at an event, but Target, Ross, and Ulta has some great options for little $$.  You might even have something great in your closet, it's worth a look.

2.  Skincare!  Start them young.  
  • Dove bar is essential in my kit.  I recommend buying a travel soap dish for it to live in.  This is not just a girl tip, I recommend this to everyone!  It will clear up the breakup and it's not going to over-strip the skin. 
  • Treatment- I picked the benzoyl peroxide gel (Target brand) to spot treat the acne that pops up.  Helpful hint is to make sure you use white towels- the peroxide portion of this can bleach towels, pillow cases, etc if not used correctly.
  • Face Lotion- My top recommendation for this is something basic like cetaphil.  Again, it's so gentle and the price point is minimal.   (The ones pictured are Ole Advanced Hydration and BB Cream by Smashbox).
3. Makeup-Utilize places like Sephora to get matched perfectly.  They also provide samples so you can see how it wears with your teen.  Don't feel like you have to spend a ton of money on makeup, the grocery store brands make some great products that I mix and match in my own collection. 
  • A bb cream is a great intro to foundation.  It provides a tiny hint of color, hydration, and sunscreen.  I really like Bare Minerals for a step up from a bb cream as well.
  • Concealer is a great option for those little red bumps that pop up.
4. Eyes.  I'm going to tell you right now, one of the first things your girls will run to is eye makeup.  More than likely they've had gloss since they were tiny so next step is eyes.
  • If you know me, you know I love E.L.F. and you know they are super inexpensive and make a great product.  Their lash curler is my fave (Tarte curler shown and is great too-Ava hid my elf).
  • Clear Mascara is a great tip for girls with dark lashes.  It's a great beginner item and they can't mess it up.  This will usually hold them over until 8th or 9th grade I've found.
  • They're real mascara is still my fave.  This sucker is $24 a pop, so maybe keep this secret for yourself.  Mammas, if you aren't comfortable showing your girl how to do her makeup, most places will do a little intro for next to nothing.  Plus it helps keep their makeup age appropriate.
5. Gloss.  Not a ton to explain here, keep it fun.  I love the CO Bigelow line from Bath and Body!  Yum, to the mint. 

6.  Hygiene.  After the horror of the razor when I was 12, the rest of dreaded puberty hit.  I think I was 14 and I decided I wanted to move up in the world to tampons.  Yes.  The "T" word.  Again, I waited until we got to the store and asked my mom if I could get some, expecting tampax or something I was familiar with.  Wrong.  OB.  Do you know what those are???  The terrifying terrorist that doesn't come in a pearl shell.  This doesn't even have a horrible cardboard shell.  Nothing.  I got home from the store very concerned about how exactly to dispense these into such a tiny area.  Please don't do this to your daughter.  I was traumatized for a good while after that.  
  • Find a fun deodorant.  Make it some they want to use it.  Please.  
  • Body mist is a much lighter twist on perfume, so they can't fragrance bomb you too bad.  
  • Lastly-a razor.  Don't skimp on this part.  And remind your littles not to share these with their friends!
I hope these recommendations help and I'm here if you have any specific questions.  If you have something you would like to know- email me at individualrivalry@gmail.com

XoXo
Jamie 

No comments:

Post a Comment