Monday, September 22, 2014

Miles Apart, Loved from the Start

A few weeks ago I had the privilege of throwing my sister an adoption baby shower.  
You can read all about their adoption journey 
Make sure to watch their incredibly sweet video of my sister telling her husband that they were matched. *Grab the tissues*
I have always loved the pictures all over etsy that have the hearts on the maps for long distance love. I knew I wanted to play off of that and incorporate maps. THEN my sister sent me this adorable picture she had taken at Flash Photo in Roy, Utah and my brain threw a beautiful image together. 

I had so much fun making her little headbands for this shoot! You can see the rest of her photo sesh on their blog.
Ahhh isn't she beautiful! Look at all that baby fur!

Can the world please invent something that projects what our mind is seeing when we get those burning ideas? It sure would make justifying these crazy ideas to our husbands a heck of a lot easier! Or moms. I was excitedly trying to explain to my Mom this awesome idea I had and she was all sorts of confused. I needed a visual!
I hopped on photoshop and came up with this shower invitation. 


You guys this shower turned out so dang adorable and inexpensive! The decorations were close to free! 

 My parents are members of AAA, so I had my mom go grab some maps of Utah and California. (AAA members get maps for free!)
I wrapped mason jars with the maps and we used fresh flowers from my parents yard. 
 My super awesome washer and dryer arrived on pallets (Thank you crafting Gods) I used them for a vintage looking backdrop for our focus table. 
I made her bunting banner from the AAA maps as well.
We had these heart state necklaces made for my sister and the Birth Mother. They have an open adoption so it is a sweet keepsake for them to cherish. California is where she was born and Utah is where she is now. 
We had family sign this matted picture for them to frame and I used an easel for the Sharpie holder. 
I've been in love with these long distance love printables for a while now. They really are pretty easy to make if you have a program.





This is the chorus line of "Top of the World" by Imagine Dragons. It held a special meaning for my Sister and BIL as they heard it many times on the drive to pick up their babe.

I had so much fun helping with this shower. It was an honor supporting our family in adoption. The whole experience was equally heart wrenching and spiritually gratifying. We are so blessed and thankful to this Birth Mother. Welcome to the family Oakley, you are so loved. 

xoxo,
Sheena

No comments:

Post a Comment